What is an Exercise Physiologist?
What is an Exercise Physiologist | Reformer Pilates Milton
Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEPs) AEPs are university qualified allied health professionals equipped with the knowledge, skills and competencies to design, deliver and evaluate safe and effective exercise interventions for people with acute, sub-acute or chronic medical conditions or injuries.
Exercise should not be intimidating, and you should be able to monitor progress regardless of any ailments that might hinder you. any.BODY Pilates & Exercise Physiology provides muskoloskeletal rehabilitation for chronic aches and pains giving you the tools to become stronger and fitter version of yourself.
Exercise & Sports Science Australia is the peak professional body and sole accrediting authority for Accredited Exercise Physiologists. ESSA is also the accrediting body for Accredited Exercise Scientists and Accredited Sports Scientists
To gain AEP accreditation with ESSA an individual must:
- Graduate from a minimum 4 years of study in an ESSA accredited course meeting the AQF requirements for Level 7 that leads to bachelor degree qualifications
- Meet the professional standards for exercise science, leading to accreditation as an Accredited Exercise Scientist (AES)*, including 140 hours of practical experience for the purpose of undertaking an exercise intervention to improve health and fitness, wellbeing or performance, or focus on prevention of chronic conditions
- Meet the professional standards for exercise physiology, including 360 hours of practical experience with clients with clinical conditions (eg. cardiovascular, pulmonary, metabolic, musculoskeletal, neurological)
AEPs are dual accredited, holding the foundational accreditation of AES in addition to their AEP status.
To maintain accreditation with ESSA, an AEP is required to:
- Hold and maintain a valid first aid and CPR certificate
- Hold and maintain appropriate professional indemnity insurance
- Complete an annual continuing professional program comprising 20 points per annum
- Uphold the ESSA Code of Professional Conduct and Ethical Practice