Benefits of Strength Training for over 50's | Reformer Pilates Brisbane
Strength training may not be the first form of exercise that comes to mind as you age, but not only will strength training make you stronger, it will keep you healthier too. Strength training increases bone density and can improve independent living by decreasing the risk of losing muscle (sarcopenia) which in turn decreases your risk of falls. Strength training can be done in a gym setting or utilising a Pilates Reformer.
Both men and women benefit from strength training at all ages but it’s important to implement it to your exercise regime as you age.
A study by Havard showed that men who strength trained for 20 minutes daily experienced less of an increased in age-related belly fat compared to those who spent the same amount of time doing aerobic training.
For women partaking in strength training will strengthen bones and increase muscle, as hormonal changes can rapidly incite the deterioration of bone density.
Benefits of strength training:
- Builds bone density
- Decreases body fat
- Builds muscle mass
- Improves mental health
- Helps avoid injuries as it will strengthen connective tissue
Reformer Pilates vs Traditional Gym:
- Ease of mind knowing you are being looked after by an Accredited Exercise Physiologist
- All Exercises start with activating our core so you are learning skills that will help you in everyday life to assist in preventing injuries
- Focuses on breathing
- Builds strength through your joints to assist with joint pain and arthritic pain
- Low Impact / Lots of modifications to ensure you are never uncomfortable
How to start:
If you have a chronic condition that you are concerned about you may need clearance from your GP and a referral to see an Exercise Physiologist prior to starting.
Schedule a Meet & Greet with Elle for FREE where you can get to know her and she will show you how the reformer works and explain how it will be suitable for you.
Book an Appointment - See Elle for an Initial Consultation + 2 Privates for $119
Book into a Class - Mondays @ 10:00am or Wednesdays at 3:45pm