What is Pilates | Reformer Pilates Studio in Milton
What is Pilates?
Pilates is a method of training designed to engage the mind and condition the total body.
With over 500 exercises it combines both strength and flexibility to reduce stress and produce longer leaner muscles with the end goal being better overall posture.
Pilates keen focus on Posture ensures we concentrate on strengthening the core - We refer to the core as the abs, pelvic girdle and back.
For decades, it's been the exercise of choice for dancers and gymnasts (and now footballers, elite athletes and Hollywood actors), but it was originally used to rehabilitate bedridden or immobile patients during World War I.
What are the benefits of Pilates?
1. Improve strength, flexibility and balance.
2. Tone and build long lean muscles.
3. Challenge and develop deep abdominal muscles.
4. Challenge your functional movement, to create new habits that prevent injury.
5. Reduce stress, tension and pain.
6. Boost energy levels.
7. Offer relief from back pain and joint tension.
8. Offer an alternative to weight training and HIIT that helps minimize injury.
9. Realigns the body to result in better Posture.
10. Improve the way your body looks and feels and how you feel about it!
Will I lose weight in Pilates?
Pilates is not a High Intensity workout, but it is designed to sculpt and produce long lean muscles. This in combination with a balanced diet will definitely contribute to a noticeable change in the body.
How often should I do Pilates?
We suggest 2 -3 times a week with a day off in between for recovery. It does take 5 - 10 sessions for a beginner to get into the swing of Pilates and understanding the principles but once the mind and body connection happens you should start to see results very quickly.